In a picture-perfect setting Kerikeri one of New Zealand’s premier historic sites preserves the stories of tumultuous times when Māori met missionaries and life was changed forever.
Established in 1819, the Kerikeri Mission Station is one of the first places in New Zealand where Māori invited visitors to live among them. Built under the protection of local Māori chiefs who were keen to harness the trade and technology of Europe, Kerikeri Mission Station grew amidst a backdrop of tribal warfare and ever increasing visits from foreign ships.
Our experienced guides share stories of fierce warriors and drunken sailors and earnest missionaries who preached, taught and battled to spread the Christian message amongst Māori, a proud people with their own ancient traditions.
The Kerikeri Mission Station is also the site of two of the country’s oldest surviving buildings- The Stone Store and Kemp House.
Heritage gardens and orchards
Cultivated over the past 200 years and New Zealand’s oldest European garden, the Mission’s award-winning heritage garden and orchards are a wonderful place for a picnic or walk, with a self-guided Garden Tour also available.