Ten years ago, we put our heads together to take on an opportunity to provide local waste and recycling services to the Northland District in partnership with our local councils. Being proudly 100% Kiwi owned, we knew we had created something special. Still, with an industry dominated by large foreign multinational players with purse strings beyond our wildest dreams, we knew our little Kiwi dream was going to be a real ding-dong battle. We had to be smarter, faster, and do business differently through innovation and bringing our communities with us on our journey to compete with the big offshore companies.
Fast forward ten years, a lot of hard Mahi and a clear vision, a lot has changed for us, but not in the way we do business or our ‘Little Kiwi vs Goliath’ culture. We have grown to be the third-largest industry player, with over 350 employees in 8 branches located across NZ.
Through a focus on innovation, we have diversified our business to include extensive resource recovery and recycling operations, biofuel and composting initiatives. We are also leading the development of front line technology solutions to help our customers minimise waste to landfill. We strongly support the work all kiwis are doing to create a space for future generations, and what motivates us is to be part of the solutions to create a better future for our grandchildren.
Put simply; sustainability is at the heart of every decision we make. We firmly believe that without supporting our communities to thrive, and building long term investments in partnership with the communities we live, we simply will not last the long term. We put a focus on long term sustainable outcomes which underpins ethical choices and doing the right thing always.
We will continue to be locals supporting locals – as being proudly Kiwi, we know you simply don’t forget your roots, my friend.
Fundamental Values: A focus on our local communities to thrive:
- Northland Waste is proud sponsors of Hospice with over $150,000 donated to date.
- We are heavily involved in our communities through school and kindy sponsorship, gala days and para kore. We have partnered with Kaitaia college to provide summer work experience and sponsorship support.
- Proudly a founding supporter of the Hundertwasser art centre. We have been working with the Hundertwasser project team centre since 2009 to get the project up and running.
- We are proud major sponsors of the 2020 Kerikeri half marathon.
- We sponsor Seacleaners Northern boat to clean up our local waterways from waste harm. Seacleaners have collected over 8.8 million litres of waste from our waterways since 2002.
- We are involved in several further local community sponsorship initiatives. For more information, please visit our community page here.
Fundamental Values: A focus on Market-leading innovations:
- We are leading initiatives in wood waste to biofuel to reduce CO2 emissions and divert wood waste away from landfill.
- We are proactive in the extensive recovery of green waste collections, turning this product into valuable compost for sale back to the community.
- Our company is on the cutting end in the development of ‘Pay as you throw’ technology. We are working in partnership with councils across NZ to minimise waste to landfill. Our solution makes it easy for customers to track and be accountable for the waste they generate. This technology will significantly reduce kerbside waste to landfill by providing a direct economic incentive to minimise waste.
- We specialise in consolidation and processing of bulk recycling across a network of resource recovery operations to support our communities access to recycling in partnership with councils.
Fundamental Values: Partnership Contracting Models and Joint Ventures:
Proud contracting partners with several Councils across NZ including;
- Far North District Council
- Whangarei District Council – Joint Venture Partner (Northland Regional Landfill Limited Partnership).
- Auckland Council – Integrated Waste Services Partner
- Horowhenua District Council