The Fullers Greatsights Bay of Islands BEAST on Saturday, 7 July 2018 is a super tough 7km course course over rolling countryside; navigating swamps, river crossings, a little bit of mud, some very steep hills and traverse rugged uneven terrain .The Bay of Islands Beast is designed to be tough but FUN, so have some fun by participating in an awesome fancy dress costume – just make sure it can handle hills!
As you are likely to be wet, cold and sapped of energy, to warm you up there will be a nice warm hangi snack waiting for you at the finish.
Super Early Bird (150 entries available): $45
Earl Bird (600 entries available): $52
Standard (until 3/7/18 or until sold out): $60
Junior (12 – 17)
Super Early Bird (150 entries available): $25
Earl Bird (600 entries available): $30
Standard (until 3/7/18 or until sold out): $35
Adult team (Minimum of 4 entries per team)
Super Early Bird (150 entries available): $40
Earl Bird (600 entries available): $47
Standard (until 3/7/18 or until sold out): $55
Junior team (12 -17) (Minimum of 4 entries per team)
Super Early Bird (150 entries available): $22
Earl Bird (600 entries available): $28
Standard (until 3/7/18 or until sold out): $33
- Black Bridge Road, Haruru – approx. 5km from Paihia, Northland. There is NO parking available at the event area•
- 11.00am – all participants MUST be at the safety briefing by 10.45am
- The Event Organisers reserve the right to modify the start times if required.
Buses/Transport To/From Event
- ALL participants to catch free buses which will depart from Fullers GreatSights Bay of Islands Maritime Building, Marsden Road, Paihia from 9.00am until 10.30am. Bus trips from Paihia take 10mins.
- Spectators are able to catch the buses but will need to have pre purchased a $8.00 bus ticket with an online registration, Participants will have first priority.
- There will be a limited number of spectator Bus Tickets for sale on event day.
- All participants and spectators will be returned to Paihia post event starting from 11.30am.
- Please listen to announcements on the day for bus availability.
Event Day Parking
- There is NO parking available at the event area•
- Entries received on or before 3pm Friday 29th June event numbers will be sent out.
- Entries received after 3pm Friday 29th June will need to collect their event number.
- ASB Northland Sports House, Western Hills Drive, Kensington, Whangarei, Friday 6th June, 9.00am – 4.00pm
- Before you catch the bus from Fullers GreatSights Bay of Islands Maritime Building,Saturday 7th June 9.00am -10.30am
- Please note that no event numbers will be posted out prior to 15th June 2018, event number post outs will only occur after the 15th June 2018.
- Pre-ordered merchandise will need to be collected from ASB Sportshouse, Sport Northland, 193 Western Hills Drive, Whangarei on either Thursday 5th June or Friday 6th June between 9am – 4pm
- If you are unable to collect your merchandise at times stated above, you can collect before you catch the bus from Fullers GreatSights Bay of Islands Maritime Building, Saturday 7th June 9.00am -10.30am or contact Sport Northland on 09 437 9600 or email us on email@example.com
- Please note all Merchandise needs to pre ordered by Sunday 24th June as we need to have merchandise printed in time for collection, Merchandise will not be available for purchase after this date.
- There will be one drink station positioned on course (Subject to conditions on course). Toilets are located at the start/finish area. There will be no toilets on course.
- We advise you to bring a drink bottle or source of water with you.
- The course is held off road on farmland and includes a range of natural obstacles. Participants will be required to navigate swamps, rivers, fences, climb steep hills and traverse rugged uneven terrain in possibly cold weather and rain.
What To Wear/Bring With You
- We recommend ThermaTechs great range of merchandise we have available on our website when you enter.
- It is compulsory to wear covered in shoes during the event and should be taped on to prevent loss in the mud/creeks.
- Football or rugby boots with moulded studs are acceptable, however, boots with aluminium studs or running spikes are not permitted.
- Remember it could be cold and you will get wet and muddy, therefore you will need to bring with you a towel, dry set of clothes, warm hat, jumper, plastic bag and dry shoes following the event.
The BIG Hose Down
- There are no showers available on site however the Paihia Volunteer Fire Brigade will be hosing participants off once finished (if they would like to be hosed off) before catching the shuttle bus back into Paihia, so bring a towel. This will be cold water so one last chance to get that heart rate up at the event!
- As you are likely to be wet, cold and sapped of energy, to warm you up we will have a nice warm hangi snack waiting for you at the finish.
- Gear bags can be checked in at the Toll luggage truck near the start/finish area and collected post-event.
- All care will be taken with the gear bags but event organisers will not accept responsibility for lost or stolen gear.
- This event is all about having a good time, so have some fun in the lead up too by getting set with an awesome fancy dress costume (make sure it can handle hills!).
- The event is held on private land, please respect the owners land and animals at all times.
- Take extreme care throughout the course, the course is off road and includes traverse rugged uneven terrain.
- Where there is a marked out area for participants, you are required to remain within the area at all times.
- Marshals will be wearing high-visibility vests and are therefor your safety. Follow their instructions and those of the event organisers at all times.
- The course will be clearly marked, this will be explained at the safety briefing on event day.
- Please do not touch any of the fences as some of them are electric fences, only follow the marked course.
- Please be aware that the course contains bee keeping boxes in areas, which means there will be bees so please keep this in mind while on course.
- A tail marshal will be following the last participant. If assistance is required please stop and wait for the tail marshal, or notify the nearest marshal.
- No animals are permitted to accompany participants during the event.
- Children under the age of 15 MUST be accompanied by an adult.
As you will be running through mud, crossing rivers and handling rope to assist you getting up and down hills below are a few precautions to limit the possibilities of getting sick/injured/infections/cuts and/or bruises;
- Do not swallow any mud or get any in your mouth
- Cover any cuts/scratches to ensure they do not get infected–seek medical advice prior to event if unsure
- When entering mud please be cautious and be aware of what may lie beneath as there could be branches etc. that could cause you to trip or cut yourself (over time after hundreds of participants have been through it, it gets deeper and may churn up old branches etc.)
- Be cautious entering any mud as you don’t know how deep it is
- If you are sick on event day or in the days leading up to it, do not participate. Your illness may be contagious and may put other participants at risk.
- Wear gloves to assist with grip and to avoid rope burn.
- Tape and/or support ankles to avoid sprains as this course is on a farm and the terrain is rugged.
- Wear long leggings, socks and long sleeves as there is gorse, branches etc. on the course (we have cut branches etc. overhanging the course but can’t get it all)
Photos, Certificates and Results
- Photos taken at the event will be available to view on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/sportnorthlandevents
Finisher’s certificates and results will be available online at www.thebeast.co.nz post event.
- Prize giving will be held at 4pm – Venue TBC
- Participants must be present at prize giving and show their event number to claim their prize.
- The first three male and female finishers and the Top Team(top four times) will be acknowledged at prize giving.
Late Entries / Withdrawals / Transfers
- All refunds will be subject to a 20% administration fee.
- All transfers will be subject to a $10 transfer fee
- No refunds or transfers will be made after 3/6/18.
- Requests for refunds/transfers must be submitted in writing or by email and received by 3/6/18 to firstname.lastname@example.org or Sport Northland, PO Box 1492 Whangarei.
- Entries close 3/6/18
- Absolutely NO entries will be taken on the day.
- In the unlikely event of cancellation, notice will be given on Northland’s More FM 91.6 and posted on the Sport Northland Events Facebook page HERE. Where possible attempts will be made to email participants who have supplied an email address with their entry. While we endeavour to make a decision to cancel an event as early as possible, due to the nature of such events, situations can occur quickly and without warning close to the start of an event.